NaBloPoMo - National Blog Posting Month
NaPodPoMo - National Podcast Post Month
NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month
I won't be participating in the Novel Writing month this year, but I will blog every day. I''m going to try to figure out the role of blogging in a world with with all these social media platforms.
So let's set the table: Why still blog?
- It's mine. I'm responsible for the domain and hosting. It's my brand.
- In-depth. There's basically no limit to how long an article can be.
- Profit! A widely read blog can actually make money from advertising
Why use other platforms?
- Easy. Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ are very easy to use. Even when mobile.
- Engagement. Because those social platforms manage audience, reader response it generally much higher than with a traditional blog. For my group, Google+ is terrific place for extended discussions.
- Part of something bigger. My posts can appear alongside articles by great and interesting writers.
- Visibility. My articles are much more likely to be read on Google+ than my own site.